Yesterday was an interesting day. I was having a real chocolate craving so my boyfriend was kind enough to buy me a huge bar of Galaxy. It is such a lovely, creamy chocolate and for some reason does not set off my Lactose Intolerance so it is very much my guilty pleasure. I started to work on it but it was getting a little sickly so I left it on the side of the sofa. I then forgot about it and left the room to tidy up my bedroom. Big mistake. We had been in the bedroom for about 10 minutes when we heard Khaleesi barking and growling. My boyfriend went downstairs and brought up an eaten bar and a chocolate smeared throw.
Now as most of you know chocolate contains Theobromine which, depending on the dose, can be lethal. My dogs are 3 and 2 kilos respectively and as I didn’t recall how much chocolate I had left I rang the vets to get their advice. After 5 minutes going over the weight of the bar, how many pieces I think they ate and how long ago it was decided they had to be seen straight away so vomiting could be induced.
We took them to the vets and Murphy’s Law was in full effect as the only vet Khaleesi hates and attacks was the one we saw. All I could do was laugh and turn to Khaleesi to say “Well this is going to do nothing for your relationship is it?”. She took them around the back to give them an injection to induce vomiting whilst my boyfriend and I did something far more enjoyable, enjoy a lovely Costa.
Thirty minutes later we returned and the Vet Nurse explained that Loki had been the naughty one (although she confused me by calling him Khaleesi). Loki had thrown up the whole bar whilst Khaleesi’s stomach was empty. They offered to show me a picture of the sick, which I passed on, and £101 later I was on my way with a bag of charcoal and two traumatised dogs.
That was one expensive chocolate bar…